- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease your baking sheets.
- Cream the butter, sugar, 2 eggs, egg yolk and lemon juice together until fluffy.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and stir in the chopped nuts.
- On a lightly floured cloth-covered board roll the dough, 1/3 at a time, to 1/16 inch thick. Cut with a 1 inch star shaped cookie cutter. Place cookies on the prepared baking sheets. Brush the tops of the cookies with the remaining egg white, beaten until frothy.
- Bake at 375F for 6 to 8 minutes.