Source: Melody (Arizona)
- 1 loaf Very Crusty Italian Bread
- 1 whole English Cucumber, Halved, Seeded And Sliced
- 6 whole Assorted Tomatoes, Cut Into Wedges
- 1/2 whole Red Onion Very Thinly Sliced
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil Plus More For Drizzling On The Bread
- 1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- Salt And Pepper
- 25 whole Basil Leaves, Chiffonade (more To Taste)
- Parmesan Shavings
- Olive Oil, For Drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 275 F. Cut the bread into 1-inch cubes, arrange on a baking sheet, and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Place the pan in the oven for 20-25 minutes to slightly crisp (“stale”) the bread without toasting it. Remove it from the oven and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine bread, cucumber, tomatoes, and onion. In a small jar, shake together the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Pour over the salad ingredients, tossing gently. Add basil and Parmesan shavings and toss again.
- Cover and allow to sit at room temperature for an hour or two before serving. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper and serve.