- 1 loaf very crusty Italian bread
- 1 whole cucumber, halved, seeded and sliced
- cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 red onion very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus more for drizzling on the bread
- 1tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- handful of basil leaves, sliced
- parmesan shavings
- olive oil, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 275 F. Cut the bread into 1-inch cubes, arrange on a baking sheet, and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Place the pan in the oven for 20-25 minutes to slightly crisp (“stale”) the bread without toasting it. Remove it from the oven and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine bread, cucumber, tomatoes, and onion. In a small jar, shake together the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Pour over the salad ingredients, tossing gently. Add basil and Parmesan shavings and toss again.
- Cover and allow to sit at room temperature for an hour or two before serving. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper and serve.