- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream-of-tarter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Using an electric mixer at medium speed, beat the egg whites and cream-of-tarter in a large bowl until the whites hold soft peaks. Increase speed to high and gradually beat in the sugar until the whites are thick, stiff, and glossy. Beat in the vanilla. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the cocoa. Make sure it is completely absorbed, but don’t get “stir-happy” or the whites will deflate too much.
- Drop the meringue by tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheets (you can use your finger to scrape all whites of the spoon).
- Bake the meringues for 25 minutes, or until the outside feels dry but the inside is soft (overbaking will make meringues that are crisp though-and-through).