Source: Melody (Arizona)
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons flour or cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 deep dish pie crust, blind baked
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 heaping tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 4 egg whites at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 additional tablespoons white granulated sugar
- Place brown sugar and butter in a large, heavy bottom saucepan and set heat to medium low.
- In a small bowl, mix eggs and milk together.
- Add egg mixture and flour to sauce pan with sugar and butter and whisk until no lumps pf flour or sugar remain.
- Turn heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently until mixture is thick, like pudding.
- Remove from heat, and add vanilla.
- Pour filling into blind baked deep dish pie shell. There will be extra filling, place it in a bowl and refrigerate for an afternoon snack or for those who do not like pie crust or meringue.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Gradually add 6 tablespoons of white sugar and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Turn of mixer.
- Heat water, cornstarch, and 3 tablespoons granulated sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture becomes thick and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Add hot mixture to soft peak egg whites in the mixing bowl.
- Turn mixer to high and beat until meringue forms stiff peaks.
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F.
- Place meringue on top of the pie and spread out to the edges of the pie crust, this will help prevent shrinkage.
- Place pie on a cookie sheet and place into preheated 350 Degree F oven. Cook for 15 to 25 minutes, or until the meringue is the color you want. I prefer light brown.
- When pie is done, remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes or so.
- Place in refrigerator and allow to cool at least 8 hours, overnight would be better.
- Cut and serve.