Recipe Sent in by: Annalisa
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2/3 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut oil — melted & cooled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- up to 1/2 cup optional mix-ins: chopped walnuts — raisins, dried cranberries, blueberries, etc. (I kept it simple and left them out, but feel free to add if you like)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse sugar — such as raw (turbinado) sugar or sparkling sugar, for sprinkling on top (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 10 wells in a standard 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together the applesauce, honey, eggs, coconut oil, and vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and sat.
- Add the flour mixture to the bowl with the wet ingredients and stir just until combined. The batter will be a little lumpy. Gently stir in the rolled oats and any other desired mix-ins.
- Divide evenly among the muffin cups, filling each almost to the top. Sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar, if desired. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and place the muffin tin on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, then gently remove the muffins from the pan (run a butter knife around the edges if the muffins are sticking) and let them cool completely on the wire rack.